Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dude... Check it out!

In my quest to change things up a bit I have been searching for a protein oriented powder to make a "shake" with that wasn't dairy or soy. Dude, challenge accepted. I am lactose intolerant (so, not quite allergic, but milk products still don't look good on me, much like ponchos, or colored jeans). So, all the lovely whey products are out. Soy is a no no for me as estrogen related breast cancer runs in my family and processed soy is loaded with phyto-estrogens. I just recently learned that only processed soy has the bio-available estrogens, raw soy, like edamame, is ok. Kinda cool info, dude. But, none-the-less, soy is out. What I found was a plant based protein that has the appropriate ratio and amounts of Omega 6's and 3's (the happy-healthy fats) and is 120 calories per serving. Dude, it's HEMP! Who knew?!?! The compliment to this powder for me is Almond Milk. Another great discovery for me, dude. I always figured coming from a nut it would be high in calories and I've always just done without milk for the most part, so I never bothered to read the label. It's only 40 calories a cup (DUDE!!) and it tastes good and has the texture and/or consistency of milk. Color me shocked and awed.  So, I am adding this combo into the mix that is my daily nutrition. I am still juicing, but some days it might be my snack, others it might be apart of a meal. I still feel  very convicted about the nutritional value of juicing, I'm just changing my program to suite my current needs. Adaption, dude, it makes the world go round, not square, round. And lucky for me the hemp is very satisfying for my appetite instead of stimulating it like other parts of that particular plant do upon consumption. Although I am noticing one side effect... Do I say DUDE a lot now, or is it just me???

If you are interested in checking out some hemp powder, coconut oil (don't even get me started on that magical stuff, dude), chia seeds, etc.... The website is www.nutiva.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment