Friday, May 10, 2013

Say my name.

So, here is a little bit of a weird deal. When I was fat, not the mediocre, half hearted fat I am now, but the kind of fat that looked like I was trying... Anyways, when I was fat, people addressed me by my name and hardly ever touched me. Now that I am more socially acceptable looking people call me "honey", "babe", "sweetie", stuff like that and often times they are touching my arm, or have their arm around my now visible waist, or something equally awkward. See, I'm not really a toucher in general. I have a wide berth on my personal space. That hasn't changed with my change in appearance. But now that I am thinner people tend to ignore my "don't you dare burst my bubble" dirty look. They also don't believe I have a given name. I no longer possess my given identity. Now, mind you, I do understand that people are just being nice, which is the reason I don't slap their hands or call them by the pet names that I would like to use. But, it is a social phenomenon I have recently been noticing. A fat person gone skinny is about the same as a plucky pregnant lady, fair game for public affections, desired or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment