Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pretty is as pretty does...

Have you ever had a pretty person tell you that you're pretty?? A couple of weeks ago I was photographing a horse show and one of the contestants that hadn't seen me in awhile told me how pretty I was. She said it with such conviction and sincerity that for that moment, I WAS pretty.

I have always categorized people like so... There are pretty people and then there is me. Seems like a shallow way to divide people up, but it keeps things simple. There are just people that ooze beauty, some of them just on the outside and some of them from the inside out. Basically everyone of my friends is these people, they are all gorgeous. How I ever found so many pretty people, I'll never know. I carry enough self-loathing that the inside out beauty isn't gonna happen and between the extra weight, the crazy hair, and the ugly nose, I have never been one to fall in the outside beauty column either. Or at least that has been my mindset to date.

If a pretty person tells you that you are pretty, it just might be true. I mean who better to know what pretty is than someone who stares at it in the mirror on a daily basis. So, here is what I have been trying to do for the past two weeks... I have been trying to act like I am pretty. Not some conceded, I can just walk around in a bikini, flip my hair and get my way kind of pretty, but the inside out kind of pretty. The pretty that cares to take care of herself, the pretty that doesn't hang her head when passing people, the pretty that isn't worried about being ugly all the time. I'm not constantly winning on the pretty front, but I'm trying to keep a better self-image going. I feel like this is an important step in my weight loss journey, changing the way that I see myself and projecting that interpretation to others. I still have weight to lose, fitness to gain, and work to do, but it is ok, to be ok with where I am at during this very moment. You know why??? 'Cause someone thinks I'm pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment